Saturday, March 22, 2008

Why Snake's Den?


Snake = Orochimaru.

Orochimaru = Naruto Shippuuden.

Argh!!

Anyway, enough about that horrible news; let us answer the title’s question!

It is very bitter to accept, but the world in general hates snakes. This is unarguably all thanks to that Biblical nonsense about the serpent in the Garden of Eden tempting Eve to eat the fruit of knowledge. But some sources point out more biological reasons. They state that Humans, by instinct avoid snakes, knowing that they are poisonous, kinda’ like the way we feel scared when thunder strikes.

But whatever the reason, be it Religious or Instinctive, man’s, and particularly woman’s contempt for the serpentine is a sign of mediocrity.

Why?

Well, granting that the reason was biblical. Why? Was it the snake’s fault the woman listened to it? Is it the poison’s fault that the fool drank it? The cliff’s fault that the careless man fell from it? Man’s contempt for the snake is just a reflection of how we tend to blame others for our own blunders. “And the woman said, The serpent beguiled me, and I did eat.” If you ask me (and hopefully you do), I find it despicable, just like religion in general.

If the reason was Instinctive, it was just greater evidence of our “poor design.” We are evolving creatures, and we are not programmed (as of yet) by natural selection to avoid only the poisonous snakes. Our instinct tells us to avoid snakes in general, but this doesn’t mean all snakes should be avoided. There are countless (okay so they’re about 2,300) species of snake that lack venom. That’s a lot compared to the 600 venomous ones!

I think mankind’s contempt for the serpentine is a great waste. In this blog, I wish to stress the lost and forgotten beauty and aesthetics of this world. And I am using the snake as my symbol, a creature that has suffered persecution despite its serene and austere beauty and elegance.

I mean c’mon, how could you not like that?

(by the way, that’s the Black King snake if you’re curious about the species)

I find slender and serpentine creatures very charming and beautiful, like some unworldly being that has achieved great vanity through millions of years of evolution.

This siren (an amphibian that has only two limbs) is very elegant, and I find its amphibious feet very appealing, too!

So now, let us all together liberate ourselves from the prejudices brought about by the decaying memes that our parents have unwittingly instilled in us and let us seek the true and hidden beauties of this world!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love snakes. I used to own a Red-Tail Boa, he got very large and very old. I was so young I don't remember what happened to him. I do however, remember that he ate so much we just started breeding mice. Later on we had another. My moms divorce caused the snake to be taken. And I just for a siren(I think) today. It's very cold outside so I brought it in. Could you tell me if it is in fact a Siren?